[fpc-pascal] Resource compilation

Martok listbox at martoks-place.de
Sat Aug 4 21:27:37 CEST 2018

Hi!

Good feedback so far. Given recent... conflicts, I wanted to ask first, just to be sure.

> * For lazarus, it shouldn't need to use a real resource compiler for standard
> things like icons, manifests etc: see programs res6 and res7 at
> https://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/fclres/basic%20usage.html
That is probably enough for simple resource editor, yes. I believe this is what Lazarus already does for VERSIONINFO resources (?)

> Actually, fcl-res was designed as a library to be used by a resource compiler,
> and I don't think you need to implement new classes at all: once you have
> written a parser for .rc files you just have to read the files referred from the
> .rc file (icons, raw data etc), create the right kind of resource and add to the
> output TResources. IIRC all the standard resource types were already
> implemented, so once you write a parser that handles .rc files you should be done.
In part, yes. Particularly the really difficult types are already implemented. I would attempt to implement all remaining RT_x
types, including those that are not commonly used in cross-platform targets. Things like DIALOG or MENU have a custom format in
their RawData, but that should be fairly straightforward, basically doing the same as the ACCELERATOR resource and tutorial.

Martok