[fpc-pascal] FPC vs. Lazarus regarding some units...

Cleverson Casarin Uliana clever97 at gmail.com
Sun Oct 29 01:53:17 CEST 2017

Hello, beginer here:

Some years ago, I tried to port an old Delphi program to FreePascal, and
discovered I had to use the entire Lazarus and not FPC alone due to some
units missing, e.g. MMSystem. I then installed Lazarus and was able to
compile most of the software, but since it was mostly for fun, I leaved
it somewhat incomplete by that time.

Now I'd like to try it again. Since that program doesn't require a fancy
desktop interface, and since I'm already accustomed to another text
editor (which serves me well as an IDE), I was wondering if I must get
Lazarus again or the standalone FPC is enough.

Because I don't know very well the FPC/Lazarus ecosystem, I'm actually
curious: Why some units like the mentioned MMSystem are delivered with
Lazarus but not with FPC? In case I install FPC and some unit gets
missing, is it possible to get it without getting the entire Lazarus and
all its overhead?

Thanks,
Cleverson