[fpc-pascal] Managed properties idea

Marcos Douglas B. Santos md at delfire.net
Fri Oct 6 20:52:13 CEST 2017

On Fri, Oct 6, 2017 at 1:06 PM, Michalis Kamburelis
<michalis.kambi at gmail.com> wrote:

> 05.10.2017 2:07 PM "Marcos Douglas B. Santos" <md at delfire.net> napisał(a):
>
> [...]
> As Sven told you, just use COM Interfaces.
> Look this explanation ->
> http://castle-engine.io/modern_pascal_introduction.html#_corba_and_com_types_of_interfaces
> but don't pay attention when to author says "Ugly (COM) interfaces"
> because it is not. :)
>
> Really, it is not.
>

> I hope I explained there why I consider the COM design "ugly": because it
> puts three often-unrelated features (reference counting, and ability for
> multiple classes to expose same API safely, and interaction with COM
> technology) in one bag.

I think you did, but I believe that we can forget the interaction with
COM even that feature was made to work with COM.
IMO, more important is the reference counting.

> In this case, in which you indeed want two of these features simultaneously,
> I advise COM interfaces myself :) That's why they are documented after all.

I can use it only to use reference counting.

> In general, I would prefer these features to be available separately. Like
> other languages do: interfaces in Java and C# are only to "expose same API
> from multiple classes" (granted, comparison is unjust as Java and C# just
> have garbage collection) -- in Pascal you get this by CORBA interfaces.

It would be better if these features were available separately, I agree.
About the gargabe collection, we can use the referece counting for the
same purpose — of course you know this, but maybe we have different
opinions about how to use this feature.

I would agree that "CORBA" interfaces is more pascalish than "COM"
interfaces, but I am sure that reference counting is a good feature to
improve the code design.

> And reference counting like in e.g. C++ "shared  pointers", that can wrap any
> class, without any additional feature (in Pascal we may get this with
> "management operators").

I don't know about "management operators". Could you explain more about them?

Best regards,
Marcos Douglas