[fpc-pascal] Help on using direct pascal compiler

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Tue Oct 3 10:00:58 CEST 2017

On Mon, 2 Oct 2017, sjc snc wrote:

> I want to use fpc.exe directly to convert pascal code to executable (*
> .exe) file. I do not know how to use it. When it comes to the fpc.exe file,
> it tells you to press enter then it disappears automatically. I need to
> create a project on visual basic to convert pascal code to executable (*
> .exe), and then run it with a button in my program. Thank you for reading
> and please help me.

You need to specify the file that fpc.exe needs to convert.

If you have a file called, for example, 'hello.pas' that looks like this:

program hello;

begin
   Writeln('Hello, world!');
end.

then the command

fpc hello.pas

will convert it to an executable.

If you don't give any options to fpc, it will display the help, and asks
you to press enter, this is what you have observed.

Michael.