[fpc-pascal] installing cross fpc in parallel to systems fpc

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Fri Nov 10 19:32:18 CET 2017

Am 10.11.2017 18:59 schrieb "Marc Santhoff" <M.Santhoff at web.de>:

On Fr, 2017-11-10 at 18:22 +0100, Karoly Balogh (Charlie/SGR) wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Fri, 10 Nov 2017, Marc Santhoff wrote:
>
> > What is that, is ppc used for bootstrapping the cross compiler
> > regardless of any other fpc maybe installed?
>
> Yes. First that ppc gets built with the "other FPC" installed. Or you can
> specify a startup compiler explicitly with FPC= argument to the make. It
> doesn't even need the rtl or anything, just the "ppcXXX" native compiler.
>
> During the first round it builds this new native compiler + rtl which will
> be used to bootstrap the actual crosscompiler then.

Ok. So I have a newer compiler for the base system built on the fly,
nice.

Not really, because only the compiler and RTL are rebuild for the native
system when cross building FPC, all the packages are still missing. So you
nevertheless need to do a complete build for your host life you had done
for your cross compilation target.

Regards,
Sven