[fpc-pascal] Browser and exe

noreply at z505.com noreply at z505.com
Fri May 26 06:27:52 CEST 2017

On 2017-05-25 08:14, Marcos Douglas B. Santos wrote:
> On Wed, May 24, 2017 at 4:23 PM, Graeme Geldenhuys
> <mailinglists at geldenhuys.co.uk> wrote:
>>> 2. How did you garantee that others applications aren't being using
>>> the same port as your application to avoind conflicts?
>>

>> I looked at the official IANA list of registered port numbers and
>> chose a
>> port number that hasn't been taken yet.
>>
>>    http://www.iana.org/assignments/port-numbers
>>
>> Under FreeBSD you can review the /etc/services file. I believe Linux
>> has
>> something similar. Or simply use the URL above.
>
> Thanks for that link, I didn't know.
> But I meant, how do you know if another app is already using a port
> that you want to use?

This is the reason I think web servers are the wrong way to go for any
desktop application (Golang is going crazy with everything being an http
server). Because ensuring ports are open is a pain in the butt, plus all
the firewall issues.
Chromium embedded/firefox embedded needs no ports open, But maybe it's
not your need