[fpc-pascal] Size of program vs library ?

noreply at z505.com noreply at z505.com
Wed May 17 06:59:13 CEST 2017

On 2017-05-16 03:15, fredvs wrote:
> noreply wrote
>> On 2017-05-15 04:26, fredvs wrote:
>>> After lot of fight, there is a solution: using -*-gc-sections*.
>>>
>>> And the question was :
>>>
>>> /Why FPC does not provide --gc-sections to the linker with the -XX
>>> paramer
>>> for libraries ? (Bug ?) /
>>

>> Hopefully that's all there is to it, but how do you know that this
>> doesn't just work for your current code and is not reliable for all
>> situations?
>>
>> If that's all there is too it, that's cool! But maybe fpc left it out
>> for a reason: like it only works in some test cases of libraries, but
>> not all test cases?
>
> It works for all situations, so I propose that fpc add --gc-sections as
> parameter for the linker if the user has used -XX parameter to compile
> library.
>
> Fre;D

Okay hold on. All situations.
Either you are a serious Edsgar Dijkstra fan, and you have proven it to
be correct (unlikely) or you have all the test cases of the entire
universe and are a unit testing nutcase..
All the chess board peices and positions on the game board have all been
tested in all situations...
No..

But, seriously... if it works in many many many situations I guess that
is "good enough"
:-)