[fpc-pascal] FPC Graphics options?

Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho felipemonteiro.carvalho at gmail.com
Fri May 12 11:40:36 CEST 2017

On Fri, May 12, 2017 at 10:01 AM, Graeme Geldenhuys
<mailinglists at geldenhuys.co.uk> wrote:
> The results shouldn't have come as too much of a surprise though. It was
> often said, in this mailing list, that FPC's goal is maintainability and
> multiple platform support. Good optimised binaries is a distant third.

I don't think it is the case since Java is multiplaform also. IMHO
what happened is simple: 10 years ago Java was laughting stock,
infamous for being so slow. Then Oracle and IBM invested millions to
make Java top-dog, probably inferior only to C++. In the same time
frame FPC devs were already satisfied with the speed, so people worked
on adding support for more platforms and fixing bugs. So that's it.
Java has multi-billion dollar companies behind it. We don't.

Java probably has developers who work full-time only in improving
speed. It was just a question of time until they would catch up.

I honestly thought 10 years ago that C++, Java, C# were only temporary
stuff, waiting to be dropped for the "next great thing". While
Objective C indeed proved to be temporary (Apple now loves Swift), but
the big 3 seam to have arrived to stay. From those I guess C# is the
least safe, but C++ and Java look deeply entrenched.

--
Felipe Monteiro de Carvalho