[fpc-pascal] silly question

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sun May 7 17:13:27 CEST 2017

On Sun, 7 May 2017, duilio foschi wrote:

> I am have FPC v. 2.6.2 installed on linux/ubuntu server A.
>
> I am sure I did some change to zeos library in server A, but I cannot
> remember details.
>
> I'd like to have the same version of FPC installed on a new
> linux/ubuntu server B.
>
> I found that  FPC v. 3.0.2 was already installed on server B.
>
> Using my poor skills in linux, I took the following steps:
>
> 1. deleted directory /usr/lib/fpc/3.0.2 of server B

That was not necessary.
You can perfectly have 2 versions of FPC co-existing.

> 2. copied directory /usr/lib/fpc/2.6.2 of server A into server B (used scp)
>
> Now a few strange things happen:
>
> a. if I try to run fpc from - say - /usr/lib/cgi-bin , I get the message
> Error: ppcx64 can't be executed, error message: Failed to execute
> "ppcx64", error code: 127

Did you correct the symlink /usr/bin/ppcx64 ? it should point to
/usr/lib/fpc/2.6.2/ppcx64

> b. if I try to run fpc from /usr/lib/fpc/2.6.2, a lot of Zeos lib
> units are compiled EVERY TIME. This for sure was not happening before
> (see below).
>
> I did something silly, right ?

Ill-advised, perhaps.

> Any help in order to fix the install ?

The above should help you to get things compiling again.

About recompilation of zeos units; 2.6.2 may work differently to 3.0.2
regarding circular units which causes a recompile. Or the zeeos units in
your search path are the old ones.

Michael.