[fpc-pascal] Threading vs Parallelism ?

Ryan Joseph ryan at thealchemistguild.com
Fri Mar 31 11:37:15 CEST 2017

> On Mar 31, 2017, at 3:55 PM, Gary Doades <gpd at gpdnet.co.uk> wrote:
>
> However, multiple independent compute units must be required for *true* parallelism. On a single processor any tasks running at the same time is just an illusion, normally created by the OS in time slicing between tasks based on certain criteria (priority, I/O, cpu usage etc.). That applies equally to threads or processes

Yeah exactly. Even if those are nodes on a network you need more than one. Unless you're making a bot-net or software designed for specific hardward which is known to have multiple cores, parallelism probably means using the GPU via an API like OpenCL, which is far cry from threading some tasks to run async.

Regards,
	Ryan Joseph