[fpc-pascal] FreePascal Windows - Force files to write to disk

Karoly Balogh (Charlie/SGR) charlie at scenergy.dfmk.hu
Wed Mar 22 14:21:43 CET 2017

Hi,

On Wed, 22 Mar 2017, Giuliano Colla wrote:

> Il 22/03/2017 13:20, James Richters ha scritto:
> > No, it is not only freepascal, but not every program either.
>
> A wild guess. The vilain could be the journal logic.

Wild indeed. :)

> You might try overwriting the old file instead of clearing it. Something
> like:
>
> Assign.
> Seek to the beginning of the file. (instead of rewrite)
> Write whatever you need.
> Truncate.
> Close.
>
> This will give the journal a different story to cope with. Maybe it will
> help.

Even if this would work (no idea), it builds completely on assumptions and
the behavior might be different depending on the underlying storage
system. It's not atomic as well, because if you get a power loss during
the above process, you could still end up with a broken file with random
contents. So it is dangerous, and could be very hard to reproduce if it
causes problems.

See my other mails about the documented way, and what Microsoft seem to
suggest.

Charlie