[fpc-pascal] Warning for anybody else using Linux Mint Debian ('Betsy')

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Wed Mar 8 11:22:59 CET 2017

On 08/03/17 00:30, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
>> brian <brian at meadows.pair.com> hat am 8. März 2017 um 00:16 geschrieben:>[...]> > /usr/bin/ld: /usr/lib/fpc/3.0.2/units/x86_64-linux/rtl/cprt0.o: unrecognized relocation (0x2a) in section `.text'> > /usr/bin/ld: final link failed: Bad value>[...]> Trying to build a simple 'Hello, World' from the 3.0.2 FP IDE also> failed with a linker error.> > There are reports of this error "unrecognized relocation (0x2a) in> section `.text'" with the *testing* version of plain Debian, but Betsy> is based on Jessie (stable), NOT testing, and the library versions on> this system *are* the ones from stable, I checked the versions.> > Downgrading to FPC 3.0.0 and Lazarus 1.6.2-1 means that everything> works again as expected.> > I don't pretend to understand what has happened to cause this error on> a system based on stable rather than testing, but as far as users with> my configuration are concerned, there appears to be a barrier to> upgrading, at least at the moment.
> You are not alone:http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=31490

I've got it running but compiled from source rather than installed from
a deb. AMD, both 32 and 64-bit, both Jessie and Stretch/testing.

The one odd thing I think I noticed during compilation was that FPC's -V
and/or the prerequisite version detection /might/ not have been working
reliably. However I was under a lot of time pressure to test that an app
built reliably and didn't follow that up systematically.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk