[fpc-pascal] fpGUI on macOS

Adriaan van Os fpc at microbizz.nl
Wed Jun 7 17:45:28 CEST 2017

Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:
> On 2017-06-07 06:32, noreply at z505.com wrote:
>> Does it require some work to get it working, or installations of stuff
>> that macOS doesn't normally have installed?
>
> fpGUI doesn't have a native Cocoa or Carbon interface yet - one is
> planned. But for years OSX came with everything that was needed to run
> fpGUI based applications - XQuartz. So for years fpGUI based
> applications just ran without problems. XQuartz is a Apple version of
> the X server and came standard with OSX.

Note that the alternative is HITheme, which is 64-bit available. With HITheme you have do more work
yourself, which I consider an advantage, as you are less dependent on the (absurdities of) the OS.
With Carbon, Lazarus has to do very strange things internally to make Carbon work with the Lazarus
Win32 based design of windows and controls.

> But as with everything Apple does (which is so G*d damn stupid), they
> keep on reducing functionality and removing all the useful features from
> the OS to dumb it down more and more - because all consumers are dumb
> asses right. ;-)

Fully agreed. Apple has become a fashion shop, where the lastest winter of summer fashion
collection deprecates all the crap they released the seasson before. So that we all have to buy new
gadgets and rewrite all our software,

Regards,

Adriaan van Os