[fpc-pascal] Language constructs and types that dependent upon system unit

Jonas Maebe jonas at freepascal.org
Thu Jan 19 20:28:14 CET 2017

On 19/01/17 20:15, gabor wrote:
> I would like to write some code that will be static linked with C
> application. In addition, I would like to avoid linking system and rtl
> units and would use only routines that come with C app and library (I
> heard that combining fpc rtl with C application is not a good idea and
> there are problems with initialization/finalization sections).
> I know that some of language constructs and types require additional
> code (such as memory management, etc.), which I would avoid.
> I know that following types require extra code:
> object, class, sting, dynamic array, try..except.
> What else should I avoid?

The system unit implements parts of the language that are too complex to
generate directly in the compiler. Which parts these are depend, a.o.,
on the target architecture and the target operating system.

It is therefore not possible to give an answer to your question that is
generally valid. Furthermore, the answer could become wrong at any time
because all of that is implementation-dependent.

Jonas