[fpc-pascal] Defining sonames?

Fri Aug 18 01:26:46 CEST 2017

On 2017-08-17 22:17, Marco van de Voort wrote:
> if some distribution halfway through the release cycle starts packaging a
> new version.

But surely then the program would be broken anyway - in the case of a
major version number bump. It is well known that major version changes
mean two versions are NOT compatible.

What Martin is getting at is that by looking at the Object Pascal unit,
one will then easily be able to see which major version of the library
is supported by that header translation *.pp file. The linker will also
complain and say that that specific library version is not install.
That's a better error that some runtime crash or error about a API
parameter that is now slightly different.

And just to be clear, by saying using the versioned library in the
header translation unit, you will use the versioned library that only
mentions the major version. eg:  'libgreat.so.1'    and not
'libgreat.so.1.2.7'

Either way, I tried the latter as I mentioned, and it made no difference
to FPC. Somewhere the version info was stripped and only the base name
was passed to the linker.

Regards,
   Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/