[fpc-pascal] Defining sonames?

Thu Aug 17 22:20:44 CEST 2017

On 2017-08-17 16:52, Martin Schreiber wrote:
> Exactly. So why not use the SONAME in the Pascal binding unit instead to use
> the base name as Free Pascal currently does in xlib.pp for example?

I forked the xlib, xutils and x units from FPC and tried just that. It
made no difference. When I compiled the project with the -Cn command
line parameter I reviewed the ppas.sh and <project>.res file. The .res
file has a INPUT section near the end listing all dependent libraries.
They are translated to the same as when you use GCC's -l command line
parameter. Only the base name of the library is used. Also, apparently
the Unix/Linux linker (FPC doesn't have it's own - only for Windows)
doesn't support versioned library names as command line parameters. So I
don't think there is much FPC can do - unless I'm still not
understanding the whole compiling and linking process, unless FPC
implements their own linker under Unix-type OSes too.

Regards,
   Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/