[fpc-pascal] Defining sonames?

Jonas Maebe jonas at freepascal.org
Mon Aug 14 22:14:19 CEST 2017

On 13/08/17 21:30, Fred van Stappen wrote:
>>> You have a opinion that every respect, me first.
>
>> It's simply how it is and has been for the past 60 years or so.
>
> Ha, ok, with this argument,

I was simply trying to clarify that Swen's description was not an
opinion, but a fact of how things are. It's important in discussions to
distinguish those two things.

> I stop to try to change things.

As Marco said, you are complaining to the wrong people. We are not the
ones that say that things should be done like this. It's the operating
system packagers/maintainers that do so. Not following operating system
conventions makes things harder in the long run, not easier. And it
makes it harder to integrate seamlessly with other tool chains and work
flows on such platforms. It also breaks expectations of long-time users
of those platforms (since they know how things are supposed to work on
their platform).

Jonas