[fpc-pascal] Threading vs Parallelism ?

Giuliano Colla giuliano.colla at fastwebnet.it
Wed Apr 12 14:30:13 CEST 2017

Il 30/03/2017 00:26, fredvs ha scritto:
> Perfect, I have now all the arguments to defend the "Dinosaur Threading"
> choice.

When I'm charged of not using the most cool and new technology, my
favourite argument are the tombstones. They're made out of stone, which
is a stone-age technology. But, as nothing more suitable has been found
for that purpose, the stone-age technology survives. Up to now it turns
out to be the most appropriate technology for that application.

The best course is always to pick up the most *appropriate* technology,
as opposed to the one most *modern* or *fashionable*. There are
applications where parallel computing is the best solution, and
applications where parallel computing is useless.

My main line is on industrial process control. You must react in
real-time to "events". A multi-threading approach, with threads
activated by events, gives a performance which you can't achieve with
any other technique. But if you attempt to apply our event-driven
approach to optimize a matrix calculation you'll miserably fail.

Just my 2c

Giuliano