[fpc-pascal] Cross platform mobile development

donald.pedder at optusnet.com.au donald.pedder at optusnet.com.au
Thu Sep 8 00:50:13 CEST 2016

> I looked at a Xamarin tutorial and it looks pretty interesting if
you’re willing to move to C# (not so bad for Pascal guys perhaps?).

   Yep, I think so. For Phonegap I would need to learn CSS and PHP
(plus get up to speed on the latest HTML), whereas learning C#, since
I already know C/C++/Pascal, and being compiled rather than
interpreted, is a path I'm much more comfortable with.

> Does Xamarin forms have a system where you can write one UI and
compile to multiple mobile platforms?

   Yep, that is exactly what it is for! :-) (as distinct from using
just Xamarin, without Xamarin forms) The amount of native coding you
do for each platform depends on how happy you are with it's
appearance/performance on that platform, or if you need a
platform-specific feature. You can have 100% code-sharing if you're
happy with how it performs/appears cross-platform in the first place.
And if you do want to do some platform-specific coding, you can have
conditional compilation.

   I'm currently doing this course
- https://www.udemy.com/how-to-use-xamarin-forms-beginner-to-advanced
- and I can recommend it. I have had a few questions already, and the
instructor has always responded within 24 hours so far (some
instructors don't respond at all!).