[fpc-pascal] Cross platform mobile development

donald.pedder at optusnet.com.au donald.pedder at optusnet.com.au
Wed Sep 7 00:46:18 CEST 2016

Hi Ryan,

   Just so happens this is what I've been immersed in the last few
months. I have an idea for an app I'm working on - like you I have
Pascal experience, but unlike you I have no Apple experience, so I've
been trying to find the best way for me to code for Apple as well.

   I did make some enquiries about ways to use Pascal, and was told
there are ways to do it, but it still comes down to using some Java
interfaces. Didn't pursue that much as other ways of doing it came to
my attention which looked more straight-forward...

   The first I looked at was Phonegap. This works on hybrid
technology of HTML/CSS/XML. You can compile in the cloud for platforms
other than whatever you have, though you do still need to have at
least an Apple developer certificate to compile for Apple (this is an
issue for me, and one I'm still trying to resolve. Been trying to get
OSX going on my PC in a VM, but no success yet - I didn't find out
until AFTER I got my new computer that you need to have OSX to get
certificates to test on iOS. :-( There are other options like Mac In
The Cloud, but you wouldn't need those of course, just to enrol in the
developer program).

   Finally got a working Hello World on Phonegap, when I found out
about Xamarin, and this is where I'm heading at the moment. It is
based on C#, so gives a more-native experience for the user than
hybrid technology, and using Xamarin forms for the front-end you can
have close to 100% code-share across platforms. I have Hello World
working on Android, but still working on my OSX issue in order to test
the Apple version (Visual Studio gives you the option of connecting to
a networked Mac for credentials/testing of Apple side, and looking
into this at the moment. This is where Mac In The Cloud could help if
I can't get OSX working on my computer and can't find a friend to help
out here).

   Let me know if you have any specific questions about Phonegap or
Xamarin (or let me know if you find a good Pascal-based solution :-)
).

regards,
   Donald.