[fpc-pascal] fcl-db + IPv6 + Firebird

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Fri Oct 7 11:26:25 CEST 2016

On 07/10/16 09:00, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> Apache Web Server changes the syntax for IPv6 connections to
>    [<ipv6_address>]:<port>
> where the [ and ] are literal characters.

I think this is mandated by one or the other RFCs, it's not just an
Apache thing.

I'd suggest that your question actually has two parts:

i)   If a server name only resolves to an IP6 address, does fcl-db
honour it?

ii)  If a server is specified by IP6 address ditto.

I've written something that was specifically IP6-aware but can't
remember whether I investigated the behaviour of the backend servers
(PostgreSQL and Firebird) which were assumed to be local (RFC 1918
addresses). I do remember vaguely that there were issues with the OS or
libraries (Linux etc. in this case) mapping IP4 onto part of the IP6
range when both were in use.

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk