[fpc-pascal] Other linkers support

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Fri Nov 18 15:13:34 CET 2016

fredvs wrote on Fri, 18 Nov 2016:

>> FPC has a built-in linker for Windows.
>
> Ha, I understand now why fpc-Windows creates perfect binaries. ;-)

And why it is currently broken when used with object files generated
by newer gcc versions: http://bugs.freepascal.org/view.php?id=30614

> Hum, is there plan for a "pure fpc unix linker" ?

There is no such thing  as a "unix linker: different unix platforms
use different object formats, and hence need separate linker support
(just like you need separate linker support for Windows and Linux).
Some people have worked on ELF (ELF is the object format used by Linux
and recent *BSD versions) linker support support from time to time,
but that work is not finished.

Jonas