[fpc-pascal] New Feature: 'Management Operators'

Lars noreply at z505.com
Fri Nov 11 01:36:29 CET 2016

On Wed, November 9, 2016 2:40 am, denisgolovan wrote:
> Yes. Mostly.
>

> More general advantage is that this feature might finally bring
> FreePascal back into league of languages having nice support for value
> types (as opposed to OOP atrocities). To put it in other words, functional
> style might become both feasible and sufficiently fast in FreePascal.
>
> IMHO, that is one of the most valuable additions to the language in
> years.
>
> BR,
> Denis

Does this remove the amount of "object.free" code seen all over the place?

I.e. is the intent to have something like an "auto" freed object,
discussed long ago on the fpc list, literally many years ago... but I
remember Michael V. C. saying something about it having some difficulties
and road blocks for being implemented for reasons I cannot remember.

I do find the biggest disadvantage of delphi/fpc code, to be all the
"Free" and creates scattered throughout code, which has nothing or little
to do with the logic of the application and is just code bloat (takes up
editor space, adds not much useful, similar to the allocations required in
C programs to work with strings instead of it being automatic).