[fpc-pascal] Smart Pointers

Maciej Izak hnb.code at gmail.com
Mon May 9 21:40:37 CEST 2016

> I read that mails about implementation of management operators and smart
> pointers.
>
> 1 - These features are expected to be available in which version?

The feature is ready and works almost perfectly but I need more time to
tests. It brings also nullable types (nullable type is kind of smart
pointer) and it brings new kind of type helpers for example for dynamic
arrays, interfaces and in practice for any other types (side effect of new
syntax ;) ).

IMO there is very weak chance for merging into official FPC trunk. FPC core
team has strong opposition to new features like in Oxygene or Delphi
Nextgen/ARC. "Smart pointers idea" is main point of my further work, plans
are much more deeper.

Because of that I've decide to fork (ofc I will try to track trunk as long
as possible - hopefully always). All will be available together with
Generics.Collections as part of RTL at:

-> https://github.com/dathox/freepascal (source) + maybe
http://svn.freepascal.org/cgi-bin/viewvc.cgi/branches/maciej/
-> http://objectpascal.space and http://freesparta.com (binary + new site -
in progress)

I think that summer is a realistic date to put all together. Above links
are invalid for now.

> 2 - Are these features an introduction to Arc objects?

Yes, is possible to create {$MODE DELPHINEXTGEN} and these features are an
introduction to ARC objects (with full backward compatibility and with
great compatibility with Delphi Nextgen, also will be possible to link ARC
modules with "non-ARC" modules and vice-versa).

--
Best regards,
Maciej Izak