[fpc-pascal] Warning not to use the "String" type with FPC 3.x

Mon May 9 17:49:11 CEST 2016

On 2016-05-09 16:34, Sven Barth wrote:
> MS-DOS and Win16 where memory restrictions are much more likely to arise.

Fair enough. Then use UTF-8 (instead of UTF-16) as the default (or only)
encoding for the RTL. UTF-8 memory usage is on-par with AnsiString (FPC
2.6.4 and earlier) for MS-DOS and Win16 targets - or at least it should
be (the first 255 characters of UTF-8 are single byte encoded).

I fully understand there are a lot of decisions to be made by the Core
FPC Team. But these Unicode and RTL discussions have been going on for
3-5 years now, and still the team is undecided about which direction to
take for the RTL. This doesn't bode a lot of confidence for us or any
company that would like to invest and use Free Pascal exclusively. Bite
the bullet and make a decision - and least then I and other contributors
know where and what to contribute towards. This state of limbo is not good.

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/