[fpc-pascal] History of the Cardinal data type?

Tue Mar 29 22:52:50 CEST 2016

Hi Michael,

On 2016-03-29 16:18, Michael Van Canneyt wrote:
> Longword used to be Cardinal.
> I guess it was changed for Delphi compatibility.

I really like Sven's idea of using (U)IntX data types where X is 8, 16,
32 or 64 bit. I think this is also future proof, considering Delphi's
data type mess and the fact that FPC likes to be FPC compatible.

With that being said, I noticed the FPC Language Reference doesn't
mention the (U)IntX data types at all. Would it not maybe be useful in
updating Tables 3.1 & 3.2 with the (U)IntX data types?

http://www.freepascal.org/docs-html/ref/refsu5.html

Or maybe add a new table that shows the mapping between (U)IntX and
other Object Pascal types and what range they apply to (similar to Table
3.2).

eg:   Int16 = SmallInt
      UInt16 = Word
      Int32 = Cardinal = LongWord
etc.

I don't mind supplying a documentation patch for you to review.

Regards,
  - Graeme -

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/