[fpc-pascal] Bls: Bug in FPC 3.0.0 (was: Bug in FPC 3.0.0?)

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sun Mar 6 13:43:47 CET 2016

On Sun, 6 Mar 2016, Serguei TARASSOV wrote:

> I don't blame someone at all.
> My point is only the regret about the absent of standards on the language
> and common libraries like in C/C++.
> When there is no standards in law "de jure", the most popular implementation
> becomes the "standard" in fact. I suppose, that Delphi is the standard in
> fact the last 15 years because of the large community and the large
> developers base (1M at least).
>
> The same reason we use English in mailing lists but not French or Russian
> regardless the wide Russian Delphi community.

Tut ti vibral plohoi primer, po-moemu... :)

A bad example. Plenty of language-specific forums exist.
They live, and no-one denies them their existence.

> So in my taste the {$MODE DELPHI} should have been support not only language
> features but all common libraries too, at least RTL/DB. All FPC
> extension/modifications could be added in FPC mode. Not easy but reliable.

It's simply not possible as long as you allow to mix modes on a per-unit basis.

I have said it before:
{$MODE XYZ} says something about available language constructs when
compiling. Not about available identifiers in units that you use.
This is a fundamental difference.

Not to mention the maintenance nightmare 2 sets of units would present us with.

Michael.