[fpc-pascal] Single threaded application on multicore CPU

José Mejuto joshyfun at gmail.com
Wed Jun 22 16:48:16 CEST 2016

El 22/06/2016 a las 15:01, Mattias Gaertner escribió:
> I don't doubt that it is swapping. I would like to know why it is
> swapping. Is it avoiding hotspots, or for longevity, or turbo boost, or
> system processes, or security, or ....
> Related: What is the downside of pinning the process to a cpu?

Hello,

AFAIK it's more related to heat and whole system response, a heat core
can enter in speed throttling thus lowering performance loosing the
computing power in the other core(s). Also there are more threads than
cores, when a thread finish its time slice if there are more threads
scheduled for this core, current process will be directly remapped to
another already free cpu core, or if there is not other free cpu core it
is queued to the less loaded core given a better opportunity to be
executed before.

After all this is a statistical game, in average you get better system
performance (all threads) if you swap and mix the threads across all
cores, better system performance is the gain, and less per given thread
performance is the pay ;)