[fpc-pascal] Single threaded application on multicore CPU

Wed Jun 22 14:36:08 CEST 2016

On 2016-06-22 13:14, Mattias Gaertner wrote:
> On my Linux it does not swap the CPU and I can't find any hard data that
> Windows is swapping because of hotspot problems,

It’s not just a Windows thing. On my FreeBSD system it swaps between CPU
cores too. I see this with any long running process that drives up the
CPU load. eg: while compiling with FPC, running unit tests, compiling
INF help etc. All these are single threaded applications. Long running
processes that sit idle are not moved between CPU cores (or so it seems).

I have an Intel i7-3770K with 4 cores (8 if you enable hyper-threading).

I monitored the running process using “htop” and “Mate System Monitor”.

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/