[fpc-pascal] Quick Modern Object Pascal Introduction, for Programmers

Mark Morgan Lloyd markMLl.fpc-pascal at telemetry.co.uk
Mon Jun 20 11:44:05 CEST 2016

Michalis Kamburelis wrote:
> Hi,
>
> So, I wrote a document describing (quickly!) many features of the
> modern Object Pascal:)
>
> Read on:
>
> http://michalis.ii.uni.wroc.pl/~michalis/modern_pascal_introduction/modern_pascal_introduction.html
>
> http://michalis.ii.uni.wroc.pl/~michalis/modern_pascal_introduction/modern_pascal_introduction.pdf

Nicely done, a good practical approach

I'd suggest warning readers early about "dangling else", and using
otherwise  rather than  else  in the  case  examples.

A private online service I use has somebody who still bears the scars of
Olivetti attempting to write an operating system in (strict, unexpanded)
Pascal. I think that Turbo Pascal came along a bit after that, but by
then the damage was done.

It's unfortunate that there's a lot of C programmers who wouldn't dream
of writing in K&R, but who still assume that Pascal is still as
primitive as it was in the 1970s.

There's a few places where a native English author would have done
things a bit differently. For example, in most places "Castle Game
Engine" would probably be prefixed by "the", and also "it allows
[something, what] to deal with cases when simple class inheritance is
not enough".

--
Mark Morgan Lloyd
markMLl .AT. telemetry.co .DOT. uk