[fpc-pascal] Parallel Port Access with Free Pascal - windows

Koenraad Lelong fpascal1 at de-brouwerij.be
Tue Jul 26 11:45:51 CEST 2016

Op 24-07-16 om 16:29 schreef James Richters:
> Bo,
> I also have a raspberry pi project..  I got a hifi-berry card for it and it
> is streaming audio to a central audio system, I'm using VLC media player and
> an app on my cell phone to control it,  I have not made use of the GPIO on
> them yet, but I would really like to learn how this can be accomplished with
> FPC, since I am more familiar with pascal than any other language, it would
> be great to learn how to do this!  I have a particular application in mind.
> I have a relay board that will turn relays on and off with TTL level
> signals, what I wish to do is have a remote way to turn certain amplifiers
> on and off.   There are 24 amplifiers going to 44 speakers (4 are
> subwoffers) in and around my house, sometimes I'll want just downstairs and
> outside amps on, other times I'll want just one room on, or all amps on....
> etc.    The amps are all in my crawlspace under the first floor, and that's
> where the raspberry pi is.  I also have some volume control chips that are
> controlled by clocking data into them, I could chain them all together and
> be able to control all of them with just one clock and one data bit.
> Any advice on how to get started on controlling GPIO with a raspberry pi
> with FPC would be greatly appreciated!

While Bo's contribution is valid, I have the impression that the
raspberry is going to the pigpiod. Newer raspbian images have a switch
(in raspi-config/advanced options) to enable a gpio-server. Using that
it is possible to access all gpio-functions (gpio, serial, spi, pwm,
...) as a normal user. See http://abyz.co.uk/rpi/pigpio/index.html.
There is a snag : the communication with the server happens via the
network, so it could be that your pi will be hijacked, unless you take
precautions.

FWIW, I ported the library to fpc, together with the test/demo software
(x_pigpiod_if2).
The fact that the communication goes via the network opens possibilities
though. I tested my port on my laptop, connected to the pi. So
applications running on a remote PC could control the pi's IO.

I have no public place to publish this software, so if anyone is
interested, please ask.

Koenraad.