[fpc-pascal] Textmode IDE splitscreen?

James Richters james at productionautomation.net
Mon Jul 25 14:06:43 CEST 2016

The TurboPascal version used to write to B800-B7FF for the monochrome
monitor and A000-AFFF for the color monitor, the IDE was always on
monochrome and the program executing was always on color... that's how it
worked,  but all that is really needed to help improve debugging with
freepascal is to get the "User Screen ALT-F5" to be in a different window so
you don't need to switch windows back and forth when trying to trace through
a program or watch variables.   It is updating both screens now, just you
can only see one at a time.   I have no idea how to get a second window
though, since it's running in a command prompt.  DOSBox already had 2
windows, someone made a patch to display the monochrome addresses in the
status window.. it was a little quirky but it worked.    Maybe there needs
to be another program running in another DOS window and the two programs
have some way to send the screen to the second window and receive keystrokes
back.