[fpc-pascal] Have Free Pascal 3.0.0, installing Lazarus 1.6, associate .pas files with Lazarus or not?

Vasudev Ram vasudevram at gmail.com
Sat Jul 9 22:50:34 CEST 2016

Hi list,

[ This is my first post to this list, and I am new to Free Pascal and
Lazarus, though I worked for some years, long ago, with Turbo Pascal
and later, a little with Delphi. After Pascal I've  used C (DOS, some
Windows and a lot on Unix), VB, Java, Ruby, Python, etc. Got to know
about Free Pascal and Lazarus somewhat recently and decide to use them
for some apps (and for fun :). Excited to start using Pascal again,
since it was one of my favorite languages. ]

I had installed Free Pascal 3.0.0 some time earlier. This is on Windows 7.

I am now installing Lazarus 1.6. During the installation, it gives me
the option of associating various file extensions related to
FP/Lazarus. These extensions shown include .pas. I want to be able to
keep on using the FPC compiler to create text mode GUI or command line
programs in Free Pascal. (Been using it a bit for that.) And I want to
be able to use Lazarus to create Windows GUI programs. By default, in
the Lazarus installer screen, the .pas extension is checked by default
(along with many others), meaning it will be associated with Lazarus.
Should I accept this, or uncheck this so that it can be or remain
associated with Free Pascal?

Thanks
--
Vasudev Ram
- Python, C, Linux, databases, open source, ...