[fpc-pascal] FPC sources in FreeBSD

Fri Jul 8 23:35:40 CEST 2016

On 2016-07-08 21:03, Juha Manninen wrote:
> I installed FreeBSD 10.3 under VirtualBox. This is the first time I
> use FreeBSD. Cool!

Welcome to the club. Next stop... install FreeBSD has your host OS.

> Only thing missing now is FPC source code, needed by Lazarus.
> Can it be installed from ports with "pkg" command?

'pkg' install pre-built applications. 'ports' installs everything from
source, and leaves the archives it downloaded in /usr/ports/distfiles/

Saying that, for the last 6 years I've only every installed FPC from the
official FPC installers on SourceForge. I also download the FPC Source
archives from there. I do this for FreeBSD, Linux and Windows and never
had any issues.

Lazarus I then get from my Git mirror and compile a IDE binary myself.
Again, I do this for all platforms I run.

> Another thing missing from my FreeBSD is proper keyboard mapping.

You can set that up inside /etc/X11/xorg.conf

For example

Section "InputDevice"
	## Filco tenkeyless keyboard
	Identifier  "Keyboard1"
	Driver      "kbd"
	Option      "XkbModel"   "pc104"
	Option      "XkbVariant" "dvorak-alt-intl"
EndSection

If you run KDE, Mate, Gnome2 etc, they have their own keyboard setup in
whatever is their Control Panel dialog. I run a plainwindow manager
(JWM) instead of a bloated desktop environment. I used to configure my
keyboard via xorg.conf as shown above, but now simply add a xmodmap line
in my ~/.xinitrc file, before the line that launches JWM.

   xscreensaver -no-splash &
   redshift -c ~/.config/redshift.conf &
   xmodmap /data/devel/dvorak.xmodmap
   exec /usr/local/bin/jwm

> One more question:
> Is installing OpenBSD much more difficult? I may try it, too.

I've never tried OpenBSD. But if you want a more "linux like" experience
(everything gets configured for you), then try PC-BSD. They have a
nicely configured KDE by default, AppCafe for your application needs, a
Control Panel etc. Apparently PC-BSD is a stock FreeBSD with desktop
software and helper tools bolted on top.

Regards,
  Graeme

http://fpgui.sourceforge.net/