[fpc-pascal] AVR Busy Wait implementation

Simon Ameis SAmeis.fpc at web.de
Sun Jan 17 22:01:54 CET 2016

I've now come up with the code below.

The main problem is, that FPC doesn't inline the procedure _delay_ms.
Thus the calculation of the required ticks is done at runtime wich
timing is merely unpredictable.

What must be done to get this procedure inlined?

The documentation isn't very extensive on this topic (size and recustion
are mentioned).

{$DEFINE F_CPU_HZ :=12000000}
procedure delay_loop_1(__count: Byte); assembler;
label loop;
asm
  loop:
  dec __count
  brne loop
end;

procedure delay_loop_2(__count: Word); assembler;
label loop;
asm
  loop:
  sbiw __count,1
  brne loop
end;

procedure _delay_ms(__ms: Word); inline;
type
  TLongWordRecord = record
  case Integer of
    1: (Value: Longword;);
    2: (low_word: Word; High_Word: Word;)
  end;
var
  ticks: TLongWordRecord;
  ticks_dword    : Longword absolute ticks.Value;
  ticks_word     : Word     absolute ticks.low_word;
  ticks_high_word: Word     absolute ticks.High_Word;
begin
  ticks_dword     := (F_CPU_HZ div 1000) * __ms;

  while ticks_high_word > 0 do
  begin
    delay_loop_2(high(Word)); // TODO: substract loop cycles
    dec(ticks_high_word);
  end;

  if ticks_word > $00FF then
    delay_loop_2(ticks_word)