[fpc-pascal] Please someone explain this to me

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Sun Feb 14 12:28:20 CET 2016

On Sun, 14 Feb 2016, Jürgen Hestermann wrote:

> Am 2016-02-11 um 14:21 schrieb Sven Barth:
>> If they are just learning the language then they shouldn't poke around in
> the core units anyway. That's what the documentation and help is for.
>> Back when I started learning TP I didn't have the internet and I didn't
> have the sources of the units. I only had the help and it was definitely
> enough, so no I'm not even remotely convinced by your argument.
>
> Strange that suddenly the documentation should be used
> while in the past everybody else is telling me (and others)
> to look into the code to understand it.

Nothing strange about it.

There is a difference between learning the language, which implies knowing
what routines are available to you, and understanding how a particular
routine works in detail. The latter requires you to study the source code.
For the former, you don't need the details: the documentation is the better
alternative.

Michael.