[fpc-pascal] Please someone explain this to me

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Wed Feb 10 23:33:30 CET 2016

Am 10.02.2016 21:03 schrieb "Anthony Walter" <sysrpl at gmail.com>:
> But to ask again, what's the purpose of using include files for the
interface section of units when most everything in the interface sections
remain unchanged among different platforms? Surely we can move all those
the parts back to the unit interface sections. Perhaps if you want to match
up a single interface declaration with a several include implementations, I
can see that as one method of organization, but wouldn't {$region names} in
the interface declarations {$endregion} would be an improvement over many
interface section include files? This way I can actually scroll through the
interface, ctrl+f through the interface, and not be forced to ctrl+enter on
interface section includes to see what is being declared.

Looks like you haven't actually looked at how the RTL is structured. It is
the way it is for a reason and that is both maintainability and
extensibility and yes that also includes the interface. You just need to
look at the TJumpBuf record used for setjump()/longjump(), it must be
different for each target processor and I honestly don't want that clutter
in the interface section, because when you need to work at those parts
you'll lose the overview and code folding won't help you then.
In short: the RTL will stay as it is, because it's a proven design without
better alternatives available.

Regards,
Sven