[fpc-pascal] New feature: IfThen() intrinsic

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Feb 1 16:27:19 CET 2016

On Mon, 1 Feb 2016, Maciej Izak wrote:

>> Then you preclude
>>
>> Var
>>  &if : Integer;
>>
>> This is a really bad idea. The whole idea of & is to make the above
>> possible, so you are going to make an exception on an exception ?
>>
>> You really want to create monstrosities as
>>
>>   &if:=system.&if(a>3,1,3) * b
>>
>> Really guys, I know it is ugly, but we don't have to add to it even more;
>>
>> Using & in a system intrinsic identifier: how crazy can you get ?
>>

> Looks good and clever. Logical choice.

Only in warped minds, as far as I am concerned.
There is nothing logical about it.

The logical thing is to find a new pascal identifier.

> How often you have variables with & prefix?

That is entirely irrelevant to the point I am trying to make.

But to answer your question:
Never, and if Delphi didn't have it, I would oppose its introduction as well.
It is a result of a 'whatever goes' attitude.

Why not introduce C syntax, while we're at it ? Or Perl, or Javascript or whatever
just happens to be the fashion of the day ? The compiler can probably handle it,
I'm sure we'll find someone crazy enough to take the task on.

This 'whatever goes' attitude is really a disease that should be weeded out.

So you trying to introduce it in a system identifier/intrinsic is IMHO a double
insult to plain common sense.

Michael.