[fpc-pascal] New feature: IfThen() intrinsic

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Mon Feb 1 16:07:50 CET 2016

On Mon, 1 Feb 2016, Sven Barth wrote:

>> And modifying the scanner for this exception is a REALLY bad idea.
>
> Maciej is in so far right that the intrinsic could indeed be named "if" and
> the only way to call it would thus be by "&if", cause only then the scanner
> would not treat "if" as a keyword. So it would work with what the compiler
> currently can.

Then you preclude

Var
  &if : Integer;

This is a really bad idea. The whole idea of & is to make the above
possible, so you are going to make an exception on an exception ?

You really want to create monstrosities as

   &if:=system.&if(a>3,1,3) * b

Really guys, I know it is ugly, but we don't have to add to it even more;

Using & in a system intrinsic identifier: how crazy can you get ?

Sorry Maciej and Sven, but I will personally revert such a change,
and shut down the SVN server afterwards to boot so you have time to
calm down and get back to your senses. Get a holiday or so.

Michael.