[fpc-pascal] LLVM Backend Support

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Wed Aug 31 08:09:51 CEST 2016

Am 31.08.2016 05:12 schrieb "African Wild Dog" <paintedlycaon at gmail.com>:

>> African Wild Dog wrote:
>>
>> > What is the current status of the LLVM backend support?
>>
>> "make cycle" works on my machine for Darwin/x86-64, and most test suite
>> failures (apart from exception handling tests if the optimisation level
>> is increased, see point 2 below) are related to LLVM limitations rather
>> than to bugs in the FPC code generator to LLVM. I have not yet committed
>> everything, because some changes still need to be implemented in a
>> cleaner way.
>

> Thanks for the detailed explanation. I asked about it because apparently
it is a good idea to adopt the LLVM as the backend for FPC compiler.
> This would free the FPC's core developers from the task of maintain the
backend portion of the compiler, which is not a trivial task, considering
the dozens of architectures and operating systems which is currently
supported, and other details such as the code optimizer.

> Will the FPC team, somewhere in the future, adopt the LLVM as the backend
on all platforms ?

The LLVM backend will never completely take over, not only because LLVM
doesn't support all targets that we do (M68k for example), but some
portions still need our backend anyway (inline assembly for example) and
also Florian *prefers* to work in the backends.

Regards,
Sven