[fpc-pascal] Delegate Interface class does not seem to be referenced counted [Solved]

Marcos Douglas md at delfire.net
Wed Aug 17 18:25:44 CEST 2016

On Wed, Aug 17, 2016 at 1:03 PM, Tony Whyman
<tony.whyman at mccallumwhyman.com> wrote:
> I think that I have now found why the test program below (originally posted
> a couple of weeks ago) did not work. It seems that when an interface is
> delegated, the compiler may take a reference directly on the delegated part
> of the interface and not to the object doing the delegation.
>
> In my original post, the main procedure was:
>
> procedure TDelegateTest.DoRun;
> var Intf: IMyInterface;
>     Intf2: IMyInterface;
> begin
>    Intf := TMyClass.Create(TDelegateClass.Create);
>    Intf2 := TDelegateClass.Create;
>
> and the output showed that TMyClass was not being automatically destroyed.
> Changing the local variables declaration to:
>
> procedure TDelegateTest.DoRun;
> var Intf: IUnknown;
>     Intf2: IMyInterface;
>
> results in this output:
>
> Creating TDelegateClass
> Creating TMyClass
> Creating TDelegateClass
> Destroying TMyClass
> Destroying TDelegateClass
> [...]

So, in that way you will need to use 'cast' to work with Intf1
variable because it is not a IMyInterface type, right?
Sounds like a workaround to me, not a good solution.

Maybe I may have missed something, but I still think this is a bug.

Best regards,
Marcos Douglas