[fpc-pascal] FPC 3.0 and FPC 2.6 on Ubuntu. How to change default version?

Krzysztof dibo20 at wp.pl
Thu Aug 4 23:25:19 CEST 2016

> The default FPC version is not changed via /etc/fpc.cfg. It's handled via
> symlinks in /usr/bin. You can use the old compiler by directly calling it
> via /usr/lib/fpc/2.6.0/ppc386 (or ppcx64 for the x86-64 version).
>
> The configuration file should be compatible with both FPC 2.6.x and 3.0.0,
> as long as they are installed in the same prefix (e.g. /usr or /usr/local).

Thanks Jonas for quick answer!

In /user/bin I have two symlinks:
- ppcx64 which point to /etc/alternatives/ppcx64
- ppcx64-3.0.0 which point to ../lib/fpc/3.0.0/ppcx64

So I can just change these symlinks to point to 2.6.4 dir and that is
enough? I want to have everything be 2.6 default, 3.0 will be handled
manually in new experimental projects.
BTW: When saw symlink point to *alternatives* reminds me that when
installed FPC 3.0, in console message which asked for override
fpc.cfg, there was info about 'update alternatives'. Is it some kind
of debian solution for switching between versions? Forgot to mention,
I have Kubuntu 16.04 64bit
BTW2: I didn't install FPC 3.0 manually from downloaded debs, only
2.6. FPC 3.0 was suggested in 'sudo aptitude dist-upgrade' command. I
accepted that (actually I had no other choice) because I needed it
anyway but this is weird. What forced this? I don't even have Lazarus
installed from deb, it is build from fixes branch using make command.
Checked 'sudo aptitude dist-ugprade' on my old laptop with Kubuntu
14.04, Lazarus 1.4 and also Lazarus 1.6 Fixes and nothing related to
FPC 3.0. Does it mean that FPC 3.0 is in official Ubunty 16.04 repo
and some dependencies forced to install FPC 3.0 too?