[fpc-pascal] CodePage fallback for FreeBSD systems

Mon Sep 14 14:11:21 CEST 2015

On 2015-09-14 12:58, Jonas Maebe wrote:
> That said: I have a very hard time believing that any contemporary Linux
> or *BSD system would not come preconfigured with an UTF-8 locale for
> every user, so you should never end up in the fallback situation unless
> deliberately unset those environment variables yourself.

Many thanks Jonas for the explanation. I understand what you are saying.

My bad, I should have posted a follow-up message.

My reason for the thread was an issue I found in MSEide where it uses
cwstring, and even though my LANG environment variable was set to
'en_GB.UTF-8', it used US_ASCII. Initially I thought the issue was with
FPC, but with more investigations and a sample C program I found the
problem. MSEgui has a copy of FPC's cwstring unit, but the platform
constants were out of date (compared to FPC) and actually a copy of
Linux's platform constants were used under FreeBSD. Martin updated his
copy of cwstring with new FreeBSD platform constants and the problem is
now solved.

Regards,
  - Graeme -