[fpc-pascal] Updated FPC from svn but make does not work..

Bo Berglund bo.berglund at gmail.com
Sat Nov 21 19:25:27 CET 2015

On Tue, 10 Nov 2015 10:12:49 +0100, Martin Schreiber
<mse00000 at gmail.com> wrote:

>On Tuesday 10 November 2015 09:48:23 Mark Morgan Lloyd wrote:
>

>> > Yes. And I recommend to use cross compiling and debugging from a X86
>> > Linux PC:
>> > http://www.mail-archive.com/lazarus%40lists.lazarus.freepascal.org/msg504
>> >06.html
>>
>> On that we'll have to disagree. The RPi, particularly the 2, is an
>> entirely adequate computer in its own right.
>
>Sure but the accustomed development environment (tools, documentation, version
>control, useful links, mail and mailinglists...) must first be installed and
>maintained separately.
>I find it much more convenient to use a single "every day" development
>environment for all tasks.

I had to leave the RPi pascal/Lazarus stuff for a while, but now I am
checking the messages on the list again...

I agree on the tools side after trying to work on the RPi via TinyVNC
for a while...

- Version control
We use CVS at our company since 14-15 years, so I installed cvsnt on
the RPi in order to use that against our company server. I had done
this on a Linux Mint 13 virtual machine earlier.
Problem: With the Pi I did not manage to set up the VPN connection to
the company so I would be able to use it.
This is a showstopper.

- Copy/Paste
When asking about things here I wanted to copy code off the Pi and
paste it on my PC. But TinyVNC and Lazarus do not work well together
so if I Copy in Lazarus I have to first paste inside the VNC window
into a text editor, only then is it possible to also paste in the PC.
Inconvenient.

With a VMWare virtual machine it is possible to:
1) Share the host's VPN channel to the company so CVS works.
2) Copy/Paste in both directions
3) Drag-Drop files between the systems

So I think I will re-visit the Linux on x86 with cross-compilation
again. This I think was my path when I asked here first...
But I thought the cross-compile looked difficult to set up.
Maybe not now any longer.

If one goes Linux Mint, what version is the one I should choose to get
FPC/Lazarus working in the easiest way with cross compilation for
ARMHF?
I don't want to be on an unstable/unsupported distribution.

--
Bo Berglund
Developer in Sweden