[fpc-pascal] FPC roadmap?

Jonas Maebe jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be
Sun May 31 23:17:41 CEST 2015

On 31/05/15 21:40, Serguei TARASSOV wrote:
> Thank for answers.
> Are some dates planned for 3.0 release ?

No, not yet.

> Actually, we have some risks : 2.6 is frozen and not supported but 3.0
> is not released yet.
> I took a little about some non-blocking issues at forum and tracker. The
> advise was "use 3.0 from trunk".
> Then I asked "Do you use 3.0 in production?" and the answer was "No" in
> general.

I would recommend to use 3.0 from fixes_3_0 (or fixes_3_0_ios if you
need AArch64 support). I don't think much will still change to that
branch before the release.

> In other hand, do any statistics about community exist?
> I mean, estimated number of users, contributors, their activity...
> I understand that projects like PHP are more diffused and give more data
> about their activity but FPC/Lazarus has sufficient mature codebase and
> history for this kind of information.

For contributors, commits etc based on the svn activity, you can have a
look at openhub.net:
* the entire FPC source tree: https://www.openhub.net/p/freepascalall
* only the FPC compiler: https://www.openhub.net/p/freepascal
* lazarus: https://www.openhub.net/p/lazarus

I'm not aware of any statistics about people using FPC and/or Lazarus.

Jonas