[fpc-pascal] File Descriptor in Windows ?

Sven Barth pascaldragon at googlemail.com
Thu Mar 26 11:41:35 CET 2015

Am 26.03.2015 08:26 schrieb "Michael Van Canneyt" <michael at freepascal.org>:

> On Wed, 25 Mar 2015, Sven Barth wrote:
>
>> On 25.03.2015 19:57, fredvs wrote:
>>>
>>> PS: Why everything must be so compilcated with Windows ?
>>

>> It's not if developers wouldn't decide to make their libraries so *nix
centric...

> I don't understand this remark ?
> What is so *nix centric about a file descriptor ?

Per se nothing. But if that can only handle StdIO pseudo handles in Windows
then I'd definitely call that *nix-centric or at least not fully useable on
Windows. I personally would have declared a platform specific handle type
like we have in our RTL and then would have used the OS specific routines
to handle them. Also I assume that on Win64 that fd type used by mpg123 is
still int while a Handle there is a 64-bit value (I didn't check the code
so this is only an assumption) making it even more incompatible with the
Windows routines...

Regards,
Sven