[fpc-pascal] Where is the 'write' function defined and how is it different from 'writeln'?

leledumbo leledumbo_cool at yahoo.co.id
Fri Mar 20 19:01:07 CET 2015

> Where is the 'write'  function defined and how is it different from
'writeln'?

> I can see a lot of fpc_writeXXX and other xxxxWrite functions, but no
> 'write' itself

those fpc_writeXXX ARE the actual write. Write(Ln) is NOT a function as like
others whose implementation you can clearly see. It's rather a command for
the compiler to translate to the correct fpc_writeXXX call. So, if you:

WriteLn(123,' is an integer');

the compiler will translate it to:

fpc_write_text_shortint(123);
fpc_write_text_shortstring('is an integer');
fpc_writeln_end;

The same case applies to Read(Ln). AFAIK Pascal's I/O is part of the
language, not the RTL.