[fpc-pascal] FPCUnit - parallel test suite execution

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Wed Mar 18 22:52:21 CET 2015

On Wed, 18 Mar 2015, Graeme Geldenhuys wrote:

> As per good unit test guidelines, tests should be independent of each
> other and not rely on results from earlier tests. The perfect candidate
> for parallelism. So what about the idea of running x amount of test
> suites in parallel? It should at least give our multi-core CPU's
> something to do and maybe complete 2000+ tests in a shorter period. ;-)
>
> Thoughts?

In theory, I am not against.

But: Not all tests can be run in parallel.  DB code is for instance not thread safe.

Then:
Given the nature of decorators, it will require extensive checking to make sure that
tests that rely on the same decorator will be run in the same thread anyway.

Just some random thoughts.

Michael.