[fpc-pascal] FPC roadmap?

Michael Van Canneyt michael at freepascal.org
Thu Jun 11 16:33:15 CEST 2015

On Wed, 10 Jun 2015, Juha Manninen wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 1, 2015 at 12:17 AM, Jonas Maebe <jonas.maebe at elis.ugent.be> wrote:
>> I don't think much will still change to that branch before the release.
>
> Then please release ASAP.
>
> I have one sincere question: Will FPC 3.0 happen this year?
> Typically from RC1 it takes ~3-4 months to the release. Now we don't
> have even RC1 in sight.
> Say you build RC1 after 2 months, that's August.
> 3-4 months from that will be November or December, still (barely) in this year.
>
> Sorry I am joining the group asking about schedule but the situation
> is getting annoying.
> More and more often a development version of FPC must be recommended
> for people because of Unicode, generics and many other improvements.
> It does not feel right. Fortunately fpcup is now maintained again but
> it cannot replace an FPC release obviously.
>
> Are there open issues blocking the release? Do you need help with them?

The documentation is the only 'blocking' issue.
Maybe for good measure some extra fixes need to be merged.

I have documented the remaining identifiers in the reference documentation,
but the new language features still need to be documented;
Normally, the biggest part can be done tomorrow and the day after.

After that (as in: as of monday) as far as I am concerned, RC1 may be built.

Michael.