[fpc-pascal] Cross-compile vs native

Michael Schnell mschnell at lumino.de
Wed Jan 28 10:01:00 CET 2015

On 01/27/2015 10:27 PM, Ewald wrote:
>      - Without the target system, the application cannot be tested ..
This is true, only because remote debugging is not well supported.

In fact I sometimes to programs to be run on a headless system (e.g. a
NAS) Here you can't install Lazarus, because you don't have a GUI.

You easily can install fpc and compile native, though.

So I ended up testing the software on a PC (as far as possible without
the hardware) and finally compile it on the target system.

I did not bother to install the cross compiler (the problem here is not
fpc itself, but the cross-libraries that are necessary link the project
for the target system).

If I would be able to use Lazarus on the development system to
remote-debug the target system, the effort to install the complete
cross-compile infrastructure would be viable.

-Michael